How to Air Fry Chicken
Air frying has become many American’s preferred way to cook in recent years, and chicken has always been a popular choice for experimentation. You can find dozens of recipes on the internet for a variety of different chicken recipes, and it’s no secret why. The answer lies in chicken’s nutrition information. The meat is an excellent source of protein, while being low in carbohydrates. Air frying provides a healthier alternative to traditional deep-frying with less trans fat and calories (kcal), while still producing juicy chicken and a crispy breading. In this article, you will find two easy recipes and some tips and tricks for how to air fry chicken, so you can enjoy a tasty meal without the added saturated fat and cholesterol of excess oil or the often limp results of an instant pot.
Choosing the Right Chicken
Before you begin, it’s important to choose the right type of chicken. Boneless skinless chicken breasts are a popular choice for air frying because they cook quickly and evenly. However, you can also use bone-in chicken, chicken thighs, chicken wings, or even frozen chicken if you prefer. Just keep in mind that these cuts of chicken may require longer cooking times and multiple batches to achieve an even internal temperature.
Deco Gear Air Fryer Recipe Book
The best air fryer for chicken dishes is the Deco Gear Digital 5.8QT Electric Air Fryer for its large capacity air fryer basket, plus this model comes with an air fryer-specific cookbook including several air fryer chicken breast recipes.
Air Fryer Fried Chicken Tenders
Any family with young children knows how much of a crowd pleaser this weeknight dinner can be, however it often gets a bad reputation for being unhealthy. No longer does this quick and tasty meal have to be deemed “junk” with this simple homemade recipe made less oily, and therefore healthier, with your air fryer.
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoon olive oil
¾ lbs chicken tenders, pre-cut or cut from boneless breast
Meal Prep Time: About 30 minutes
Total Time: About 45 minutes
1. Preheat your air fryer to 330F.
2. Place the breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Break two eggs into another bowl and add flour.
3. Mix the eggs and flour for a minute or two.
4. Add salt and pepper to the breadcrumbs and add olive oil.
5. Coat the chicken tenders with the flour mixture. Then place the tenders in the breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs should cover both sides.
6. Place air fry chicken breasts for 10 minutes. Though not necessary, you could add a coat of cooking spray to the surface of your basket.
7. After the initial 10 minutes, raise the temperature to 400F and cook for another five minutes.
8. Ensure the meat is properly cooked by placing an instant read thermometer in the thickest part of your tenders. When you cook chicken breasts, the internal temperature should always reach at least 165 degrees F. When your meat thermometer displays this temp or higher, your tenders are ready to serve with your favorite condiment or a side of green beans—a great source of vitamin A! Pat sides of the chicken tenders with a paper towel to reduce oiliness if excessive. If you have leftovers be sure to stored in an airtight container to save the tenders from developing a soggy crust. When reheating be sure to do so in your air fryer for the crispiest outcome!
Roasted Whole Chicken with Herbs
No one wants to heat up their entire house by cooking a whole chicken in the oven during the scorching hot summer months. An air fryer makes the process much less painless with a smaller space to preheat, meaning less time and, more crucially, less heat in the kitchen. This recipe is also a good way of using up the fresh herbs from your garden! While it calls for thyme, oregano, and rosemary, feel free to throw in any other herbs you may have—basil, parsley, and sage would do great as substitutes or additions here!
5-7 pound whole chicken
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon (fresh or dried) thyme
½ teaspoon (fresh or dried) oregano
½ teaspoon (fresh or dried) rosemary
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Meal Prep Time: About 10 minutes
Total Time: About 1 hour and 30 minutes
1. Take the listed seasoning blend and mix them together.
2. Rub your chicken with the seasoning marinade, either by hand or with a basting brush. Let it marinate for 20-30 minutes so your seasoning can be fully absorbed.
3. While waiting, you can preheat your air fryer to 380F.
4. Once ready, cook the chicken for 18-20 minutes. After this time, turn the chicken to the other side and cook for another 20 minutes, or until ready.
5. When cooked, let the chicken sit for 10 minutes, then slice and serve with a side of veggies! For extra flavor and vitamin C, add a spritz of lemon juice.
For more easy recipes check out the Deco Chef Recipe Book included with, and written to be used with, the Deco Chef Digital 5.8QT Electric Air Fryer.